The Purple Club

The Purple Club

Having cancer is like being part of a [not so] exclusive club. I have been amazed at the number of people who have shared their cancer stories with me. These stories of survivorship, weakness, hard truths, and grace keep my hope and fight tank full.

I see cancer everywhere now. It’s like when you buy a new car; you don’t notice how many other people also drive your same car model and color. When I was walking through an open house several weekends ago, I noticed the family living there had lost a little girl to cancer. At the grocery store last week my eyes connected with a mid aged woman wearing a scarf covering her bald beautiful head.

Typically I’m the youngest patient in the Chemo lounge at Dr. A’s office; and I’m talking about being the youngest by a good 35 years. But, yesterday in the lounge there was a guy who must have been in his late 20’s early 30’s receiving chemo. He wore a purple bracelet. Cancer comes in many colors, pink for breast cancer, teal for ovarian cancer, and purple for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. So this guy’s purple bracelet must have meant he was in the purple club.

My club.

The Hodgkin’s lymphoma Club.

0 comments: